Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A taxonomic category that ranks below phylum and above class.
- ‘To give the idea of a subphylum, the entire Vertebrata are in the Linnean arrangement a subphylum of the phylum Chordata.’
- ‘I'm animal, my phylum is chordata, my subphylum is vertebrate, my class is mammals, sublass theria, infraclass eutheria, within that I'm a primate, and within that I'm human.’
- ‘These aren't just distinct species but distinct phyla, categories so large that man and bat occupy not only the same phylum but the same subphylum.’
- ‘Technically an invertebrate, amphioxus is classified in subphylum Protochordata, phylum Chordata.’
- ‘Going on down the hierarchy are phylum, subphylum, class, subclass, order, family, genus, species.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips