An atom or group of atoms taking the place of another atom or group or occupying a specified position in a molecule.‘displacement of alkyl substituents’as modifier ‘the presence of substituent hydrogen atoms’
- ‘In an interstitial solid solution, substituent atoms or ions are added to void spaces (interstitial sites) between normal atomic sites.’
- ‘Under rigorous conditions benzene will undergo substitution for one of its hydrogen substituents, by a process called electrophilic aromatic substitution.’
- ‘Any groups attached to the main chain are called substituents, they are there in place of hydrogen atoms.’
- ‘These compounds differ in the level of oxidation of the flavane nucleus and in the number and position of hydroxyl, methyl, and methoxyl substituents.’
- ‘Other substituents coax beta-peptides into antiparallel hairpin and sheetlike structures.’
Late 19th century from Latin substituent- ‘standing in place of’, from the verb substituere (see substitute).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips