mass nounmass noun
1The accomplishment of an aim or purpose.‘there is a thin line between success and failure’
favourable outcome, successfulness, favourable result, successful outcome, positive result, victory, triumphView synonyms
- ‘the region has had some success in attracting light industry’
- 1.1The attainment of fame, wealth, or social status.‘her success owed more to hard work than luck’
prosperity, prosperousness, successfulness, affluence, wealth, riches, fortune, opulence, luxury, comfort, life of ease, the good life, milk and honeyView synonyms
- ‘the success of his play’
- 1.2count noun A person or thing that achieves desired aims or attains fame, wealth, etc.‘overall the fair was a great success’
triumph, bestseller, box-office success, sell-out, coup, master strokestar, superstar, celebrity, big name, household name, somebody, important person, VIP, personality, public figure, dignitary, luminary, leading lightView synonyms
- ‘I must make a success of my business’
2 archaic The good or bad outcome of an undertaking.
result, end result, consequence, net result, upshot, effect, after-effect, aftermath, conclusion, sequel, follow-up, issue, product, end product, end, development, offshoot, outgrowth, wake, denouementView synonyms
- ‘the good or ill success of their maritime enterprises’
Mid 16th century from Latin successus, from the verb succedere ‘come close after’ (see succeed).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips