Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
An organic compound containing a sulfonyl group linking two organic groups.
- ‘Isolatable, water soluble, and hydrolytically stable active sulfones of poly (ethylene glycol) and related polymers for modification of surfaces and molecules’
- ‘People went from worshipping snakes or the sun god, or trying to get bitten by a cobra, to giving chaulmoogra oil by rubbing, orally, or by injection, and then from using sulphones to multidrug therapy.’
- ‘A number of different sulphones that had activity in experimental animals were also investigated but were never widely used in treatment.’
- ‘Sulfonamides and sulfones, two classes of infection-fighting drugs; there are many different medications in these categories, but usually they have ‘sulf,’ ‘sulfa,’ or ‘sulfo’ in their names’
- ‘In Table 2 of our article, we list gluten-free diet as the first treatment of dermatitis herpetiformis and indicate that sulfones are beneficial for the skin lesions only.’
Late 19th century from German Sulfon, from Sulfur (see sulfur).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips