Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A collider in which superconducting magnets are used to accelerate particles to energies of millions of megavolts.
- ‘It is used mainly in cars, planes, bridges, computer chips, artificial body parts and in supercolliders, like the particle accelerator in Geneva, Switzerland.’
- ‘A supercollider is in fact being built: the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.’
- ‘He pauses, then adds, ‘The good thing is that in finance we don't have to build [particle] supercolliders.’’
- ‘Regrettably, the American superconducting supercollider project was cancelled, but a European accelerator called the large hadron collider will begin operating at a lab in Geneva, Switzerland (called CERN) around 2005.’
- ‘In particle physics, the loss of the supercollider project has relegated America to a back seat in the quest to understand the structure of matter.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips