Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A gas-filled sac present in the body of many bony fishes, used to maintain and control buoyancy.
- ‘An important organ seen in ray-finned fish but not in cartilaginous fish is the swim bladder.’
- ‘A characteristic of the family Gobiidae is the absence of a swim bladder, which is used for buoyancy control.’
- ‘Some fish, for example, have processes from the swim bladder to the inner ear to transmit airborne vibrations.’
- ‘In addition, temperature affects whether or not a fish will sink or float, by altering the volume of gas within the swim bladder.’
- ‘The swim bladders of fish work much the same way as a scuba diver's buoyancy control device.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips