Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A standardized name, especially for a chemical element or compound, a biological taxon, or a star or other astronomical object.
- ‘It has the chemical formula C 10 H 14 N 2, and the systematic name 3-pyridine.’
- ‘The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry's systematic name for acetone is 2-propanone; it is also called dimethyl ketone.’
- ‘The use of vinyl is exemplified by the molecule vinyl chloride (its proper systematic name is chloroethylene).’
- ‘Once an element has received a permanent name, the systematic name is usually dropped in favour of it.’
- ‘What is the systematic name of the star Betelgeuse?’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips