Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The phase of the heartbeat when the heart muscle contracts and pumps blood from the chambers into the arteries.
- ‘The passive, elastic recoil between systoles maintains the blood pressure, smooths the flow of blood, and forces blood through the coronary arteries while the ventricles are filling.’
- ‘The reflected wave returns to the aorta during systole rather than diastole, increasing systolic work even more and reducing diastolic pressure, on which coronary flow depends.’
- ‘A newer classification scheme for heart failure is based not on left or right side failure but rather on whether the failure occurs during systole or diastole.’
- ‘During systole, the rise from left ventricular end-diastole pressure to end-aortic diastolic pressure is decreased; thus the aortic valve opens earlier and stays open longer.’
- ‘Younger people have a highly distensible aorta, which expands during systole and minimises any subsequent rise in blood pressure.’
Late 16th century via late Latin from Greek sustolē, from sustellein ‘to contract’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips