Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Rapid and repeated striking of the body as a technique in massage.
- ‘There are five basic terms describing different massage maneuvers: vibration, tapotement, petrisage, effleurage and friction (small range intensive stroking).’
- ‘In doing tapotement, the hands must not be raised more than an inch from the patient's body.’
- ‘To apply tapotement, use the knife-edge side of the hand and keep the wrist loose.’
- ‘Five basic strokes, effleurage, petrissage, friction, tapotement, and vibration, all flowing toward the heart, are used to manipulate the soft tissues of the body.’
- ‘Tapotement along the muscle produces a series of similar local contractions although there is no apparent movement.’
Late 19th century French, from tapoter ‘to tap’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips