Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A salt or ester of tartaric acid.
- ‘In cultures used for phenotypic analysis, the ammonium tartrate was omitted from the medium.’
- ‘Cream of tarter, potassium tartrate, is used in cooking.’
- ‘On addition of alkaline tartrate, the color turns blue and exhibits an absorption maximum at 598 nm.’
- ‘Not to be confused with tartrate, creatine titrate works along the same lines as effervescent creatine products, minus the bubbles.’
- ‘No, we are not repeating ourselves - this one is creatine titrate, not tartrate.’
Late 18th century from French, from tartre ‘tartar’ + -ate.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips