Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1Stretched or pulled tight; not slack.
tight, tightly stretched, stretched, rigid, stressed, not slack, not looseView synonyms
- ‘the fabric stays taut without adhesive’
- 1.1(especially of muscles or nerves) tense; not relaxed.
flexed, tensed, tightened, hard, solid, firm, rigid, stiff, unyieldingfraught, strained, stressed, tense, drawn, drained, sapped, fatigued, tiredView synonyms
- ‘my voice was taut with anger’
- 1.2(of writing, music, etc.) concise and controlled.
concise, controlled, crisp, pithy, sharp, succinct, compact, terseView synonyms
- ‘a taut text of only a hundred and twenty pages’
- 1.3(of a ship) having a disciplined and efficient crew.
orderly, in order, in good order, in good condition, tight, trim, neat, well ordered, well regulated, well disciplined, tidy, spruce, smart, shipshape, shipshape and Bristol fashionView synonyms
- ‘his language was salty and he ran a taut ship’
Middle English tought ‘distended’, perhaps originally a variant of tough.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips