A small insectivorous mammal native to Madagascar, different kinds of which resemble hedgehogs, shrews, or small otters.
Several genera in the family Tenrecidae: many species
- ‘Afrotheria is a newly recognized taxon comprising elephants, hyraxes, sea cows, aardvarks, golden moles, tenrecs, and elephant shrews.’
- ‘Even comprehensive analyses have not clarified phylogenetic relationships among aardvarks, tenrecs, golden moles, and elephant shrews.’
- ‘Small, spiny, pointy-nosed creatures known as tenrecs are the equivalents of shrews, moles and hedgehogs.’
- ‘Among mammals, the carnivores, primates, and tenrecs all have fairly well-established African connections.’
- ‘The dental formula of tenrecs varies considerably among species, reflecting the diversity of the group.’
Late 18th century from French tanrec, from Malagasy tàndraka.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips