Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A type of printed calico with a characteristic floral, figure, or landscape design on a light background.
- ‘For those who preferred it, such a design could also be painted directly on paneling or printed on toile de Jouy.’
- ‘The first section of this exhibition traces the path taken on his canvases by the toile de Jouy, a length of flower-printed cotton that brought Matisse to the brink of abstraction in the opening decade of the twentieth century.’
- ‘At the far left of the photograph, taking its rightful place alongside Matisse's other possessions and draped over a frame, is the toile de Jouy - a textile that inspired so much of Matisse's art.’
- ‘Of the myriad textiles Matisse collected throughout his life, the blue and white toile de Jouy had the most profound effect on his journey toward abstraction.’
- ‘The grand hall, rather oddly, is decorated with a blue toile de Jouy wallpaper, the sort you usually see in bedrooms.’
Originally made at Jouy-en-Josas, near Paris.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips