Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A hole saw used in surgery to remove a circle of tissue or bone.
- ‘The bone marrow aspirate was similar to the trephine, with 15% of blasts showing monocytoid differentiation together with an absolute monocytosis and mild dyserythropoiesis.’
- ‘An instrument that acts like a cookie cutter, called a trephine, cuts a precise circular shape.’
- ‘In 2 cases, a bone marrow trephine biopsy was also available for examination.’
- ‘The only difference in processing of the BM core and clot was decalcification of the trephine core biopsy.’
- ‘The instrument for this is still called a trephine.’
Operate on with a trephine.‘The invention relates to a method and apparatus for trephining corneal tissue in preparation for keratoplasty.’
Early 17th century from Latin tres fines ‘three ends’, apparently influenced by trepan.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips