1A member of a Turkic people of north-western China, particularly the Xinjiang region, and adjoining areas.
- ‘Delegates, including Tibetans, Cantonese speakers from Hong Kong and Macao, and Turkic Uighurs from Xinjiang in the remote northwest, struggle to make themselves understood in Mandarin.’
- ‘Security officials said the men included Pakistanis, Arabs, Chechens, Uzbeks and ethnic Uighurs from China's predominantly Muslim Xinjiang province, where a separatist movement is simmering.’
- ‘Most were Uzbeks, but there were also Afghans, Chechens, Uighurs from China and a small number of Arabs.’
- ‘Many of the artefacts were made under the suzerainty of the Uighurs, a Turkic people from western China who were the dominant power in Central Asia for nearly a century.’
- ‘He stressed, however, that China still has an obligation to respect the human rights of its minorities, including the Uighurs, a Turkic people native to western China.’
- ‘The concerns of China, which faces problems with the Uighurs in its northwest region, also deserve attention.’
2mass noun The Turkic language of the Uighurs, which has about 7 million speakers.
- ‘Khalkha Mongolian may be written in traditional Uighur or Cyrillic script.’
- ‘The Uighur language was purged from school curricula, and thousands of Uighur writers were arrested for ‘advocating separatism’ - which often meant nothing more than writing in Uighur.’
- ‘He has seen the boy only once in his life; when they converse by telephone, the child speaks Chinese not Uighur.’
- ‘Important documents are translated into major minority tongues and four of them - Tibetan, Mongolian, Uighur and Zhuang - appear on Chinese bank notes.’
Relating to the Uighurs or their language.
- ‘The reforms of the Kazak and Uygur writing systems are examples of adoption of the Plan under political pressure against the will of the two language communities.’
- ‘But its generous portions, authentic cuisine, value and exotic Uygur dance all ensure a special dining experience.’
- ‘The faces and dress are Uigur, Kazahk, Tajik and Tartar.’
- ‘Beijing has pushed the governments of Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan to crack down on Uighur activists.’
- ‘They were reportedly training in Afghanistan with Uighur groups seeking independence or greater autonomy from China in the Xinjiang region.’
- ‘The fun and games included a music by a traditional Xinjiang trio, dancing by Uighur girls in revealing outfits, lucky draws and games.’
- ‘It's very worried about Uighur nationalism.’
The name in Uighur.