Basic Guidelines For Spanish PronunciationsREAD THIS ARTICLE
A mineral occurring on alkali flats as rounded masses of small white crystals. It is a hydrated borate of sodium and calcium.
- ‘Boron never occurs as a free element, but always as a compound in minerals such as borax (sodium borate; Na 2 B 4 O 7), colemanite (calcium borate; Ca 2 B 6 O 11), and ulexite (sodium calcium borate; NaCaB 5 O 9).’
- ‘Those who went had five stops on the trip and collected celestine, ulexite, malachite, duftite, alunite, rosasite, barite, cerussite, smithsonite, and wulfenite.’
- ‘In 1849 cottonball received the mineral name ulexite, for the German chemist Georg Ulex who first described its properties when he examined some specimens from Chile.’
- ‘It also promised economies of scale that would render marsh mining of ulexite obsolete.’
- ‘Ulexite, like other borates, is a structurally complex mineral.’
Mid 19th century from George L. Ulex (died 1883), German chemist, + -ite.