Basic Guidelines For Spanish PronunciationsREAD THIS ARTICLE
nounbafundisi, umfundisiSouth African
(among speakers of Xhosa and Zulu) a teacher, priest, or missionary.
- ‘The umfundisi's traumatic journey to Johannesburg rings true to her.’
- ‘Reverend Kumalo, the main character, is addressed as umfundisi many times in the book.’
- ‘Thebu is living with umfundisi and is preparing to be a minister.’
- ‘He is the predikant who questions the teachings of the bible, the teacher who desires that his students unravel his puzzles, the umfundisi for whom knowledge is powerful but always elusive.’
- ‘The Swazi crow is a large black bird with a white collar and he is also called umfundisi, because he looks like a Catholic priest.’
- ‘Stephen Kumalo, a black umfundisi, lives in rural South Africa; his children have moved to Johannesburg.’
Early 19th century from Xhosa and Zulu.