Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A bacterial antibiotic used against resistant strains of streptococcus and staphylococcus.
This antibiotic is obtained from the bacterium Streptomyces orientalis
- ‘Other antibiotics like penicillin and vancomycin slow the bacteria's ability to manufacture cell walls.’
- ‘MRSA infections were treated with vancomycin and one to two other antibiotics based on bacterial susceptibility.’
- ‘Patients who become infected with MRSA are usually treated using expensive antibiotics such as vancomycin.’
- ‘Already now in Australia we're isolating strains which have low level resistance to vancomycin.’
- ‘In recent years, some superbugs have even figured out how to resist vancomycin.’
1950s from vanco-(of unknown origin) + -mycin.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips