Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1The equinox in spring, on about March 20 in the northern hemisphere and September 22 in the southern hemisphere.Also called spring equinox‘A fixed overhang designed for optimal shading on the autumnal equinox casts the same shadow on the vernal equinox.’
- ‘Western Christians, therefore, observe the date of the vernal equinox on March 21 according to the Gregorian Calendar.’
- ‘It falls on the vernal equinox and marks the beginning of the Persian new year.’
- ‘The day taken to be the invariable date of the vernal equinox is March 21.’
- ‘In theory, Easter falls on the Sunday after the first full moon following the vernal equinox.’
- 1.1Astronomy The equinox in March, when the sun crosses the celestial equator in a northerly direction, marking the prime meridian of right ascension.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips