Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
1The highest point; the top or apex.
apex, peak, tip, top, mountaintop, summit, pinnacle, crest, brow, crown, height, highest pointView synonyms
- ‘But what vertices of anxiety lie behind the gentle opposition of town and country, youth and age when Janice arrives in Dulwich.’
- ‘Balancing on the vertex requires enormous training in concentration.’
- ‘The game begins at one particular vertex, corresponding to the starting position of the game.’
- ‘Now in a single move a coin must slide between adjacent vertices.’
- 1.1Anatomy The crown of the head.
- ‘This will protect the perineum and assist in extension of the head as the vertex passes the symphysis.’
- ‘As the head clears the pubic symphysis, the vertex is pulled upward at an angle of 45 degrees to the floor.’
- ‘She has been left with extensive scars and areas of alopecia on the vertex, occipital, and right parietal regions of her head.’
- ‘The Sahasrara or crown chakra is related to the pituitary gland and externalizes at the vertex of the scalp.’
- ‘This is followed by thinning over the vertex and then, eventually, complete loss of hair over the crown.’
Each angular point of a polygon, polyhedron, or other figure.
- ‘Einstein observes that the Menelaus theorem is symmetric with respect to the vertices of the triangle.’
- ‘Now add parallels beyond those in the same direction, through the vertices of the largest triangle.’
- ‘He also found another solution where the three bodies were at the vertices of an equilateral triangle.’
- ‘The vertices were then connected to their neighbours to create the polygons.’
- ‘The frequency of each morph increases from the one side of the triangle to the opposite vertex.’
- 2.1A meeting point of two lines that form an angle.
- ‘Bond angles are calculated using the central atom as the vertex of the bond angle.’
- ‘An undirected edge connecting these two vertices indicates this relationship.’
- ‘Two adjacent vertices must be of the same colour.’
- ‘In wild-type flies, the head vertex is symmetrical and composed of three distinct domains.’
- ‘The vertex representing k is the final state of the kth chain.’
- 2.2The point at which an axis meets a curve or surface.
- ‘Each vertex unit can have one vector and one scalar operation in flight simultaneously.’
- ‘A graph is a mathematical structure consisting of vertices connected by edges.’
- ‘A coin may only be placed by dragging the cursor along an edge from one vertex to another.’
- ‘The three 6-cycles pairwise intersect in two non-adjacent vertices.’
- ‘Think of the two islands and the mainland as vertices with the paths between these nodes called arcs.’
Late Middle English from Latin, ‘whirlpool, crown of a head, vertex’, from vertere ‘to turn’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips