Relating to the yolk (or yolk sac) of an egg or embryo, or to yolk-producing organs.‘the vitelline arteries’
- ‘At the second stage, when the sperm cell reaches the vitelline envelope, other recognition molecules allow bindin of the correct species to attach the sperm tightly to the egg.’
- ‘From these observations and following experiments involving membrane removals, the authors concluded that the vitelline and embryonic membranes are essential to osmoregulation during development.’
- ‘The ventral follicle cells produce proteins, like pipe, that are only deposited in the ventral vitelline envelope.’
- ‘In abalones, the eggs are enclosed by a vitelline envelope, and sperm must penetrate this envelope to fertilize the egg.’
- ‘It functions as glue between the acrosomal process and the glycoprotein bindin receptors of the vitelline layer of the egg.’
Late Middle English (in the sense ‘colored like egg yolk’): from medieval Latin vitellinus, from vitellus (see vitellus).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips