1Shed tears.‘a grieving mother wept over the body of her daughter’
cry, shed tears, sob, snivel, whimper, whine, mewl, bawl, lament, grieve, mourn, keen, wailView synonyms
- ‘he wept bitter tears at her cruelty’
- 1.1Utter or express with tears.
back out, pull out, cancel, withdraw, beg off, excuse oneselfView synonyms
- ‘“No!” she wept’
- 1.2 archaic with object Mourn for; shed tears over.
- ‘a young widow weeping her lost lord’
give off, give out, discharge, release, send out, send forth, emit, issue, emanateView synonyms
- ‘she rubbed the sore, making it weep’
A fit or period of weeping.
cry, sob, snivel, whimper, mewl, bawl, lamentView synonyms
- ‘sit down and have a weep’
Old English wēpan (verb), of Germanic origin, probably imitative.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips