1A sweet-scented essential oil obtained from the flowers of a tropical tree, used in perfumery and aromatherapy.‘It has ylang-ylang essential oil and vanilla, so it's like an aromatherapy spa treatment for your hair.’
- ‘Together we selected my personal aromatherapy blend: ylang-ylang, mandarin and lemon.’
- ‘Add a few drops of a sensual oil like ylang-ylang or patchouli to spray bottle filled with tap or distilled water.’
- ‘The masseuse bathes my feet then unlocks a few facial pressure points while I succumb to the ambient flute music and scents of clove and ylang-ylang oil.’
- ‘A pleasant blend of lavender, ylang-ylang, geranium and grapefruit in sweet almond oil was chosen for its energising potential, but there were another three types for the discerning.’
- ‘Burn lavender, ylang-ylang or rose scented candles to relax and reduce stress or to complement a shower or bath gel.’
- ‘Its bouquet is floral and lightly fruity with dominant notes of mango, iris and ylang-ylang.’
- ‘She took a deep breath and could detect eucalyptus and ylang-ylang.’
2The yellow-flowered tree, native to the Malay peninsula and the Philippines, from which this oil is obtained.
Cananga odorata, family Annonaceae
Late 19th century from Tagalog ilang-ilang.