nounplural noun Zs, plural noun Z's
1The twenty-sixth letter of the alphabet.
- 1.1Denoting the next after Y in a set of items, categories, etc.
- 1.2Denoting a third unknown or unspecified person or thing.
- ‘X sold a car to Y (a car dealer) who in turn sold it to Z (a finance company)’
- 1.3usually zThe third unknown quantity in an algebraic expression.
- 1.4usually zDenoting the third axis in a three-dimensional system of coordinates.
- ‘the z -axis’
2A shape like that of a capital Z.
- ‘the same old Z-shaped crack in the paving stone’
3Used in repeated form to represent the sound of buzzing or snoring.
- ‘I'm being overcome with weariness as I write … zzzzz, zzzzz’
- catch some Zs
Get some sleep.
- ‘I'll go back to the hotel and catch some Zs’
- ‘I was catching a few Zs on the lower bunk in our call room.’
- ‘Why is it whenever I try to catch some Zs all I can hear is you two squawking?’
North American informal
Zambia (international vehicle registration).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips